Monday 20 June 2011

Day 9

On paper an easy day but in practice my hardest yet. 70 miles in to a head wind and heavy rain for the most part. The pain in my nether regions has worsened and for much of the ride I had to stand on the pedals. This tires your legs and numbs your fingers which have to support more weight. What was becoming a manageable but tough challenge is now in serious doubt unless I can fix my arse. A visit to the pharmacist and the bike shop for a new seat is a priority today.
Staying in Cumnock over night, a lasting first impression was cast by the drunk we watched meandering his way up a steep hill. Sometimes sideward, sometimes backward but seldom forwards and occassionally on the road he was going to have a torrid time getting home and should consider getting a house nearer to the pub. The next person we met was also pollatic. It was 6pm.
Tonights hotel, The Royal, is exceptional. Nice big, immaculate rooms and excellent food in Eddie sized portions.
Tomorrow it's onward to Glasgow stopping only long enough for Eddie to throw stones at Ibrox Stadium before we weave our way down the yon bonny banks of Lochlomund. Eddie's already downloaded the song. I think we're in for an emotional return to the old mans birthplace.
Onward to face the hoards of angry midges already amassing in Lochlomund.

Sent using BlackBerry® from Orange

2 comments:

  1. Hey Ciao Phil'a

    After I'da retired fromma di cycling inna 1998 I founded a bicycle manufacturer, called 'Fondriest'. The'a bike which you have'a is ma Aldi prototype model and musta be'a 13 years old now'a. I thought data di Deutche Post hadda bought'a dem all and'a add fitted 'em with'a dem big yella ugly panniers from'a Aldi!

    Give a me a call'a when you have'a finished and'a I will'a see if wi canna do a deal with'a you for a nice'a new Carbon Fiber'a model!

    Well'a done to'a you all, and a say hello to Sir Chris Hoy'a for me!

    Arrivederci!
    Maurizio Fondriest
    World Road Champion 1988

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Phil

    So who let the cat out of the bag about our welcoming party for you all in Loch Lomund was it that Wee Jimmy Krankie? Don't be late getting here as I have a plane to catch later today to ... Vienna.


    Midge Ure
    Immervoulin Caravan & Camping Park
    The Trussachs National Park
    (failed contestant Popstar to Operastar 2011)

    ReplyDelete